Monday, March 31, 2008

Keeping track of books

I use both GoodReads and LibraryThing to keep track of books that I have either read or want to read. In LibraryThing I list "grown up" books. By using the tag "to read" I have eliminated myriad pieces of paper with title written on them. To date I have entered only books I've read within the past four months. Evenutally I will add other books that I have read and will upgrade to a paid account. I love being able to see the covers of books. One oddity that I've found is that people can ask to be your friend. I responded to one of these questions and found that the writer was an author and seemed basically out to get people to buy and read his book.

In GoodReads I write reviews of kid and young adult books. I'm still fine tuning the tags and can see that tags can easily become unmanagable. I have created a "date" tag so that I can look up books by the month that I read them. I am just beginning to explore books entered and reviewed by other users. Since I would rather read than write reviews I've tried really hard to keep up on writing reviews. It's still a discipline but I can see how helpful this is. It is just too easy to forget about titiles, even titles that I really liked.

You many look at my LibraryThing list: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/kellyn
To access the GoodReads: http://www.goodreads.com/

No comments: