Monday, May 5, 2008

Transforming Libraries and Communities

http://www.sarahlong.org/podcast/?_episode=97 (25 minutes)
4/21/08 Exec Director of NSLS Sarah Long talks with James LaRue, director of the Douglas County Libraries in Castle Rock CO since 1990 and speaker at NSLS "Embracing Change: Transforming Libraries and Communities" Symposium 4/29/08.

He helps synthesize ideas about some current trends, and he echoes some of the points Michael Stephens has made: the Library is bigger than the building, and the Library needs to take advantage of Circulation staff’s opportunity for Reader’s Advisory.

Listen, and see what you think. He makes some great points, and I don't think he's after growth in market share for its own sake.

2 comments:

Kate said...

http://www.lions-online.org/podcasts/cindy-als.mp3
(date and length not given) In this program, we hear Kankakee Public Library Director Cindy Fuerst's keynote address to the members of the Alliance Library System. In her address, Cindy discusses the fears many librarians have about "jumping on" the web, outlines some tough facts that librarians must face about the web, and talks about the great technological leap forward Kankakee Public Library has made with its "Library 2.0" initiative.

Amy said...

I have now spent 3 hours (in between the few patrons here today), trying to get these assignents done. I only did part one of this, exploring our website. It was helpful, I saw some things I didn't know we linked directly to. The set up is pretty pleasing to the eye. But it has taken way too long. I like the links we provide and I preferred looking at the site map over using the main page and sidebars. I cannot imagine anything I would use a virtual library for, the concept does not appeal to me at all so I feel ill equipped to comment.